Tuesday, March 8, 2011

IS IT JUST ME? (PART 2)


These are the thoughts bouncing around in my head today...

Is it just me…
Or aren’t you relieved that CBS finally canned Charlie Sheen? Duh, losing, Chaz. Losing!

Is it just me…
Or have you too come to the conclusion that Jimmy Fallon should be next year’s Oscar host? After all, he aced his hosting chores at last year's Emmys. He's a reverent fan of the industry. And he nailed a Charlie Sheen bit on his show long before anyone else. That’s the kind of smart and timely comic a long Oscar show needs.

Is it just me…
But hasn't theater seating made it impossible to enjoy seeing movies in theaters that don't have it? 

Is it just me…
Or are there too many fairy tales being turned into teen movies? Coming soon: Snow White, The Wizard of Oz, and Little Red Riding Hood. (Bet they sold RED RIDING HOOD with the pitch, “It’s Team Jacob, only period!”)


And while we’re in that neighborhood…
Do we really need eight comic book hero movies this year? If you’ve seen the trailer for THE GREEN LANTERN, you know it’s not going to be a bumper crop.

Is it just me…
Or has DANCING WITH THE STARS forgotten to get stars for a season or two now?

And is it just me…
Or isn't the Nestle Toll House ice cream sandwich the best thing to happen to movie theater concessions...ever? (Dippin’ Dots?! What were we thinking?)

And is it just me…
Or isn’t Amy Adams one of our two or three best actresses working today? To run the spectrum from the spirited Giselle in ENCHANTED to the sheltered Sister James in DOUBT to the tough, sexually charged Charlene in THE FIGHTER takes a ton of talent. (She should have gotten Melissa Leo’s Oscar.)
And speaking of…
Hasn’t Melissa Leo worn out her welcome already? Her fawning, rambling Oscar speech should have been played off by the band. Instead of Aaron Sorkin’s eloquence.


Is it just me…
Or don’t you wish Jon Hamm would do a romantic comedy? He’s so funny and he’s, well, a man. Not a man-boy like typical leads McConaughey and Kutcher.


And speaking of mature performers…
Isn’t Marisa Tomei far more interesting in her 40’s than she ever was in her 20’s? (Bet George Costanza still pines...)


Is it just me…
Or don’t all the gossip mag’s out there look the same? Same stories? Same typefaces? Same cellulite bikini shots?

Is it just me…
But isn’t Kathy Griffin on the A-list now? And shouldn’t she get a movie?

Is it just me…
Or was the clever idea of THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU kind of ruined by the time Matt Damon ran through that umpteenth door?

And is it just me…
But isn’t the best character actor working today Tom Wilkinson? He’s played dozens of great roles over the past decade and a half, and his 10 minutes as the cagey villain in THE GHOST WRITER is a master class in economical acting.


And isn’t the best character actress working today…
Helena Bonham Carter? Hard to believe the quietly elegant queen from THE KING’S SPEECH was played by the same woman who horrified us all with her psychotic rendering of Bellatrix Lestrange in the HARRY POTTER films.

Aren’t you glad…
That HBO does biopics?  Few do them. Not too many movie studios, that's for sure. And no one does quite them as well as HBO.

Is it just me...
or is George Clooney the coolest guy on the planet?

And is it just me...
Or is CEDAR RAPIDS the best of the movies to come out so far in 2011?

And is it just me…

Or wouldn't it be wise for the Academy to go back to just five best picture nominees? (If they can't make room for all of them in the show's filmed parodies, there are too many!)


 There. Those are my thoughts on Hollywood at the moment. What are you thinking?

5 comments:

  1. Is it just me...
    Or does Peter Fonda's performance in Ulee's Gold still rank as the most understated performance of the last two decades?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not just you...

    Marisa Tomei does keep getting better (prettier, more talented) with age.

    Amy Adams is definitely one of the better, more talented actresses of our day. But I need to give her props for her role in Sunshine Cleaning and well.

    Is it just me...

    Or does it feel like Charlie Sheen is now just trying to trademark his own insanity, as if he had planned all of this from the start? This is the same man who a decade ago admitted that he paid hookers not for the sex, but to "go away when he was done with them." Clearly, the behavior isn't new, it's just that he became lazy (or too self-important) to care about hiding it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, Fonda's subtle acting was sublime. And almost shocking that the Academy recognized it. But why hasn't he done more since then?

    Adam, I agree with you about Amy Adams in SUNSHINE CLEANING. She's so damn good. And I recently caught her again in CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. Was she sweet and funny in that!

    As for Sheen, I agree that he's got enough money now to not give a damn anymore. But have you seen him lately? He looks like death warmed over! Clearly it's all taking a toll. And I suspect this is all going to end quite badly, and by that I mean, with Sheen in an early grave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it just me...
    Or have we heard enough about David Arquette’s erratic personal life?

    Is it just me...
    Or do we not see enough of the wonderful Christoph Waltz in films?

    Is it just me...
    Or did I just read today that Julianne Moore is going to play Sarah Palin in an HBO movie about the 2008 McCain presidential campaign so we can relive that again?

    And is it just me...
    Or can anyone remember life B.C.? (Before Charlie)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent thoughts, Fan With No Name. I hope the other followers contribute as well. Thanks everyone for following!

    ReplyDelete